How to Pack for 10 Weeks in a Carry-on

, ,

Last summer I had a 10-week internship in Colorado. Because I don't like dealing with a lot of luggage and waiting around at the airport to claim my baggage, I decided to pack light. Very light.

1.) Figure out exactly what you will be taking. If feasible, I suggest picking clothing items that are made of thin fabrics. Select items that can be mixed and matched for the widest range of outfit options.

How I packed for 10 weeks in a carry-on bag

2.) Don't fold. Instead, roll all your clothing. This will save you a lot of room and your clothes won't wrinkle as much.

How I packed for 10 weeks in only a carry-on

3.) Now start putting your clothing into the suitcase in layers.


4.) I forgot to take a photo, but all my solid beauty/personal care items were placed in a makeup bag that I put in the center of the suitcase with a "wall" of clothing on all four sides. Any liquids were placed in a ziplock bag and put into the front pocket for quick retrieval. Don't bring items that you can inexpensively purchase at your destination (such as sunscreen and toothpaste).

5.) I put my notebooks, folders, and tablet on the top since flat items tend to fit really well here. I wore my bulky shoes with me to the airport. The white shoes shown in above photos were placed on top of the notebooks.